the big two-seven… from l.a.!
i am beyond happy to be able to say that today’s post is coming to you from warm and sunny and perfect l.a.! i’m out here visiting friends and celebrating my birthday and i could not be more excited to be turning 27 here.
ever since the days of the o.c. [zero shame, and if someone wants to get me a birthday gift i would love this shirt], california has always intrigued me and as i’ve gotten older, my obsession has only grown. the lifestyle, the mindset, the scenery, the weather. california has a certain vibe to it that i haven’t felt anywhere else. this is my fourth trip out here in the last year and i have to say, i often ask myself what the eff i’m doing in new york…
… anyways! i’ll be sure to do some recap posts of my trip for you guys over the next week or so, but make sure you’re following me on social media [instagram | twitter | facebook] so you can see what i’m up to in the meantime! [spoiler alert: palm tree/beach/ocean/sky pictures and, most importantly, a lot of #eatingfortheinsta posts to follow.]
enough about that… let’s talk about 27 for a minute. twenty-seven. two. seven. twenty. effing. seven. how did this happen?!
i really feel like this number has snuck up on me because i truly do not feel like a 27 year old… and i’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a sign that i seriously need to get my act together. we’ve heard the old adage “age is just a number” hundreds of times and i always roll my eyes when someone says this to me, but right now, i can actually say that i agree with this.
i’m in my late twenties now? excuse me… what? when did that happen? how did that happen? i think the fact that i even have to ask these questions is proof enough that age doesn’t define you. it’s just a number and you are only as old as you feel. so like… 27? no big deal… right?
in the spirit of turning the big two-seven and officially leaving my mid-twenties behind, here are 27 things i’ve learned while being alive on this planet, in no particular order. some big, some small. some funny, some serious. all important. none to do with food/fitness/wellness/crunchy hippie sh*t.
- taking yourself seriously is a waste of time.
- there is no point in not saying how you feel or what’s on your mind.
- change is scary, but 100% necessary if you want to move forward.
- you’re never too old to take a nap.
- there is absolutely no avoiding the kardashians and we might as well just get used to them.
- it’s okay to change your mind.
- there’s a lot of power in doing. effing. less.
- the best cure for a hangover is netflix and seamless. Or another drink.
- it’s okay to take a sick day [even when you aren’t sick].
- trying to hold onto your pride is stupid. no one wins. not even you.
- the best thing you can spend your money on is experiences, not things.
- dogs are better than humans.
- math is, and always will be really, really hard.
- you can’t change the weather [but you can change your location, which in a way can change the weather].
- if your phone battery dies you will not, i repeat, you will not die with it.
- you get 24 hours to totally lose your sh*t and cry/mope/kick/scream/break things over a guy/girl. after that, you pick up and move on with your life. [thanks for this one, mom!]
- if you can’t find a little humor in bad situations they will only be that much worse.
- fuck the scale. that bitch is a liar. [still working on this one.]
- your real friends will be your friends no matter where you’re located geographically.
- if you don’t know, just ask.
- perfection is not a real thing. unless we’re talking about beyoncé. she might be perfect.
- if you really have to talk yourself into something you probably shouldn’t be doing it.
- no matter how sh*tty your situation is, it will get better.
- when you know, you know.
- “family is most important.”
- sometimes it feels good to just kinda wing it.
- if you don’t do it now, you never will.
there you have it. BRING IT ON TWENTY-SEVEN. i’m ready for ya!
sign up for my newsletter!
follow me on instagram!
posts by topic
- September 2017 (1)
- August 2017 (2)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (2)
- March 2017 (3)
- February 2017 (2)
- January 2017 (3)
- October 2016 (1)
- September 2016 (2)
- August 2016 (1)
- July 2016 (1)
- June 2016 (5)
- May 2016 (4)
- April 2016 (4)
- March 2016 (3)
- December 2015 (4)
- November 2015 (6)
- October 2015 (8)
- September 2015 (8)
- August 2015 (10)
- July 2015 (11)
- June 2015 (11)
- May 2015 (11)
- April 2015 (11)
- March 2015 (12)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (12)
- December 2014 (11)
- November 2014 (9)
- October 2014 (15)
- September 2014 (11)
- August 2014 (7)
- July 2014 (4)