5 reasons we all need yoga right now
life in 2017… it’s interesting, right? the world is a really, really crazy place right now.
there’s lots of change happening and many of us are getting caught up in the moment of everything… we keep scrolling through the comments of those truly awful facebook posts [i’ve literally lost all faith in humanity doing this]… we’re cutting people out of our lives when their opinion doesn’t align with our own… sometimes, we’re just curling up into a ball, crying our eyes out, and telling ourselves that we should just give. the eff. up. that it’s all a waste of time and we have no control over where anything is going.
it’s easy to forget the big picture. it’s easy to feel hopeless. it’s so easy to be afraid of what’s ahead. but does feeling this way help us rise above the bullsh*t and continue to move forward, both on a personal and societal level?
i’m guilty of feeling all of the things i outlined above. i go through periods where i feel paralyzed by my anxiety… moments where giving up seems like the best option, because why fight a losing battle, ya know? and this applies to my feelings on my personal goals, my professional goals, and where i wish society would go as a whole.
my anxiety pretty much encompasses everything. it’s not picky. if i can worry about it, i most likely will, sooner or later. but there’s one thing that always, without fail, snaps me out of it. one thing that brings me back to the present moment, brings me back to my power…
probably not very surprising, considering that yoga works wonders for a lot of people, and i’ve talked about what it’s done for me personally here many times before. but sometimes, we do need that friendly reminder to put us back in our place.
a few years ago, i wrote an article for elite daily titled “5 reasons why all millennials would benefit from practicing yoga” that really hit home for me when i was writing it… and i think it resonated with others too – it was shared almost 300 times!
i wanted to share it here today, because i think all of these points are still valid… for everyone, not just millennials [although they may hit a little closer to home for us than other generations].
… and then go hit the mat… and take this little piece of yogi wisdom with you…
friday favorites: an LA edition
happy, happy, HAPPY EFFING FRIDAY, EVERYONE. is it just me, or was this week… weird? i literally had no idea what day it was for the majority of the week, and the days just seemed to craaaawwwwwlllllll. makes friday feel that. much. better.
it’s been a while since i’ve done a “favorites” post of any kind… and i felt like it was a nice way to end this long, grueling week.
and since i’ve been living in LA for about a year and a half [it will be 2 years in july… excuse me… WHAT?!] i thought… why not do a post about the things/places i’m loving in LA right now? i have to say that i really feel more at home here than i have anywhere else, so it really just feels right, ya know?
1. beaming. beaming is an amazing little superfood bar with several locations throughout los angeles. they have everything from smoothies to cleanses to nut butters to granola mixes. and everything is amazing. i recommend the kale-fornia smoothie [because duh]. they even have an online store for those of you not local to LA!
2. archlight culver city. a movie theater? yes. why, you ask? because they have a full bar in the lobby… and you can take your drink into the theater with you. talk about really transforming the experience of going to see a movie on a sunday evening! it’s possible that they do this in other theaters, too, but it’s the only one i know of so… there ya have it! i guess you could call this ~*soLA?
3. playlist yoga. this was a studio i had heard a lot about before i even lived in LA, but it took me way too long to actually try a class there. now, i’m hooked. all of the instructors are amazing, the music is LIT AF, and the lockers are all labeled with the names of musicians [think bey, kendrick, calvin, biggie]. maybe i’ll do a full class review one of these days!
4. my favorite murder. okay, so this isn’t specific to LA, but the hostesses do live here, so i’m counting it. my favorite murder is the podcast i’m currently bingeing. literally, cannot get enough of it. they cover a couple of different murders stories each week, walking you through all of the details… and they also manage to make it absolutely hilarious [in a non-offensive way]. if you’re into true crime, you’re probably already listening to it, too, but if you’re not… what are you waiting for?! oh, and their tagline is “stay sexy, don’t get murdered”… that’s all.
5. the weather. again. finally. the past few months have been pretty sh*tty here in LA, weather-wise. i know, i know you don’t wanna hear it because angelenos are spoiled and basically always have perfect weather, but GUYS. when it rains almost every day for 2 months and is grey and colder than usual… in a city where the weather is literally always perfect… it really takes a toll on you! don’t like it? don’t care. haters gonna hate, i guess. this past week has been absolutely gorgeous, and now that all of the rain has turned LA green… i’m more ready for summer than ever. can’t wait to get out and do some hiking this weekend!
what are your favorite things to do, places to go, food to eat in your city?! share in the comments below! and would also love more LA recs!
self-love on valentine’s day
happy friday, every one! i hope you all had an amazing week and have fun plans in store for the weekend.
valentine’s day is next week, so naturally that’s what we’re gonna talk about today… but i didn’t make a gift guide… i don’t have any unique valentine’s day date ideas… there are tons of posts like that out there and i feel like doing something a little different. so, instead i want to talk about the importance of self-love on valentine’s day and why it’s so important… whether you’re single, dating, or committed.
self-love. it’s one of those buzzwords that’s all over the wellness world. i know… it sounds cheesy AF, but there’s a reason you’ve been hearing it everywhere. and that’s because it’s effing important. why?
because you have to love yourself before anyone else can. you have to treat yourself with respect if you want anyone else to treat you with respect. you can’t expect to have an amazing, loving, supportive relationship with someone else if you don’t have one with yourself first.
it’s a pretty straightforward concept. it’s kinda the sibling of the golden rule, right? “treat yourself the way you want others to treat you”… i like that.
here’s a few examples of what happens when you put yourself first and show yourself some love:
- your health and happiness levels will go through the roof
- your relationships with others will improve
- you’ll gain a true sense of who you are, not who you’re “supposed” to be
- you’ll set boundaries for yourself and others [aka you’ll take less sh*t from people]
- you’ll stop sabotaging all of the good things in your life
- you start to realize the role you play in manifesting your experiences… both good and bad
so, regardless of what your “status” is on valentine’s day this year… as justin bieber once said… baby, you should go and love yourself. [the context is different here, but whatever, any excuse to quote the biebs, amiright?!]
have valentine’s day plans? that’s great! but you should still make a conscious effort to appreciate yourself. it’ll set the tone for your relationship and how the person you’re with treats you, whether you’ve been dating for 3 weeks or 3 years.
if you’re single, buy yourself that necklace you’ve been eyeing for ages or go to dinner at your favorite restaurant. if you don’t do nice things for yourself, how can you expect anyone else to ever want to do nice things for you?
personally, as someone who’s single on valentine’s day this year, i bought myself a new pair of sneakers and am getting a [much needed and way overdue] massage tuesday after work… then i think i’ll crack open a bottle of wine and catch up on summer house…
and i cannot wait.
how are you going to show yourself some love on valentine’s day? would love to hear your ideas in the comments below!
3 things you can do to improve your health that don’t involve diet + exercise
this time of the year is all about “resolutions” … many of which include diet and exercise. i’m sick of resolutions and sick of talking about “eat this, not that” and “5 moves to a flatter stomach”. let’s mix it up and talk about 3 things you can do every day to improve your health that don’t involve diet and exercise.
1. meditate. you’ve probably heard a lot about meditation… especially in the last year or so. it’s one of those things that’s becoming less weird as more and more people, from every walk of life, incorporate it into their routine.
it’s no longer just something that yogis or crunchy hippies do. that’s because it’s effing good for you. it’s known to reduce stress, help manage anxiety, slow aging, improve sleep, increase happiness, and strengthen the cardiovascular and immune systems. pretty crazy, right?
if you’re new to meditation, i recommend starting out with just 5 minutes per day, and using a guided meditation [you can find a lot of options on youtube… i really like this one]. once you’re comfortable with 5 minutes, up it to 10… then 15… then 20… and so on. i like to meditate first thing in the morning for about 20 minutes… it really helps to wake me up and start my day on the right foot!
2. spend time outside. let’s get real for a sec. most of us spend the majority of our time inside. at work, at home, commuting, at restaurants, the gym… i could go on forever, but i think you get the idea. all of these places are manufactured… they aren’t natural. ever think that actually spending time in nature could be… what we’re meant to do?
spending time in nature can boost serotonin levels, which helps stabilize your mood and regulates a number of bodily functions, including digestion and sleep. being outside also exposes you to the sun a.k.a. the best source of vitamin d there is.
take a 15 minute walk on your lunch break [yes, even if you live/work in a city], sit in the park and read a book, or find a restaurant with outdoor seating for your next boozy brunch. a little bit of time outside goes a long way!
3. drink water. okay, okay, maybe this technically has something to do with your “diet”… but not really. so i’m going for it. how many times in your life have you been told you need to drink more water? how many times have you told yourself that you need to be drinking more water? probably a lot. so, why don’t you just effing do it?
not to beat a dead horse, but water is like… SO good for you. water IS life. your body needs to be fully hydrated to operate properly. seriously, pretty much none of your systems can work the way they are supposed to without it. it aids digestion and kidney function, flushes out toxins, keeps your skin glowing, energizes the muscles, and can help manage hunger, which ultimately aids in weight loss.
and luckily, drinking water is really easy. we just have to make sure we’re actually doing it. i recommend buying a nice reusable water bottle [m obsessing over these swell x gray malin bottles] and taking it with you literally everywhere. having a nice water bottle actually makes me want to drink more water. kinda how buying new workout clothes motivates me to start working out more. also, keep a glass of water by your bed, and drink it first thing in the morning. you need to get re-hydrated after a long night of rest!
implement these 3 things in your daily routine [or even just one of them at a time] and you’ll notice a difference in how you feel… physically and mentally. you will improve your health… and your body will be so happy with you!
obligatory “new year, new me” post… or whatever.
happy new year, guys! i hope that everyone had an amazing holiday seaon… i certainly did!
it’s been a while, hasn’t it?! i took a little hiatus from posting for a while… not for any particular reason, except that i just needed to do it. the end of 2016 was a whirlwind for me [in the best way], but i’m excited to be back in action!
2017 is here. and you know what january means… resolutions. lots of ’em. we’re only in week two of the new year, so resolutions are definitely still a hot topic regardless of who you’re talking to. personally, i’m not really a fan of new year’s resolutions. i’m not into the “new year, new me!” mentality for a few reasons.
first, why now? just because the year on the calendar changed, suddenly you’re going to change, too? you don’t have to wait until it’s a new year… or month, or week, or day even… to make a change. do it whenever the eff you feel like it. the sooner you start taking action, the better.
second, have you thought about how you’re going to make that change? a lot of resolutions are empty. they aren’t thought out. there aren’t any action plans to go along with them. there aren’t smaller goals set and timelines created to help get to the large, overarching goal. and how can you seriously expect to be successful without a plan?
and finally, i don’t like resolutions because they don’t work. they just don’t. why is this? because with resolutions, one slip up is often discouraging enough to make us throw in the towel. and that’s not what life is about. i think the mentality of having “goals” to work towards, rather than having “resolutions” to stick to makes all the difference. looking back… i don’t think i have ever, and i mean ever, accomplished one of my new year’s resolutions.
[DISCLAIMER: if you’ve had success with making resolutions in the past, then by all means, keep going for it! i’m just speaking from my personal experience.]
this year, i have about 5 things that i really want to accomplish [it’s important to not be working towards too many goals at the same time… it gets hard to focus and can be discouraging] and in the spirit of the new year excitement, i figured i would share them with you here. i mean… everyone’s doing it… right?
1. get back to blogging regularly. after my hiatus [and about a year of posting really sporadically] i want to put more time and energy into bananas + bellinis this year. i have a lot of ideas… so i’ll be focusing on taking things one step at a time… as always… baby steps!
2. start teaching yoga. i’ve taught a few classes here and there, and quite a few private sessions since i completed my teacher training in 2015, but i really want to work my way onto the schedule at at least 3 studios this year.
3. get back to a more balanced workout routine. i’m obviously all about balance, but when it comes to working out… i tend to be a little off. i’ll have a week where i workout 4-5 times… followed by a week where i don’t work out one. single. time. this year, i want to maintain a consistent workout schedule [without getting carried away], while still mixing my workouts up. i’m hoping that my new classpass membership will help me with this!
4. read 2 books per month. reading is something that i have always loved to do, and when i lived in new york, my time spent commuting on the subway was dedicated to reading. i would fly through books, and no matter what, always had at least 1 hour a day to read. now that i drive to work, i don’t have time automatically worked into my schedule for this… and i miss it! i’m kicking the year off with born a crime by trevor noah [#swoon]. what are your other recommendations?! leave ’em in the comments below!
5. have the most fun ever. all the time. although i listed this last, i think it’s the most important thing… my “theme” for 2017, if you will. if i’m not having fun, i’m just not gonna do it. and on the flipside, when it comes to the things i have to do [you know, the things involved with being an “adult” like working, paying bills, doing chores, etc.] i’m going to make an effort to not hate every second of it. if i have to be doing it, might as well have fun in the process right?
so, to wrap up here, i’m back. i’m ready for 2017 [only took me about a week to wrap my head around the fact that we’re even in a new year to begin with]… and i hope you’re all excited to see where bananas + bellinis goes this year! so happy to have you along for the ride.
what are your thoughts on goals vs. resolutions? and what are your goals for 2017?! leave them in the comments below… i always love a little inspiration!
sign up for my newsletter!
follow me on instagram!
posts by topic
- February 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (1)
- November 2017 (3)
- September 2017 (1)
- August 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (2)
- March 2017 (3)
- February 2017 (2)
- January 2017 (3)
- October 2016 (1)
- September 2016 (2)
- August 2016 (1)
- July 2016 (1)
- June 2016 (5)
- May 2016 (4)
- April 2016 (4)
- March 2016 (3)
- December 2015 (4)
- November 2015 (6)
- October 2015 (8)
- September 2015 (7)
- August 2015 (10)
- July 2015 (8)
- June 2015 (9)
- May 2015 (10)
- April 2015 (10)
- March 2015 (9)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (11)
- December 2014 (10)
- November 2014 (7)
- October 2014 (11)
- September 2014 (8)
- August 2014 (4)
- July 2014 (2)