my 10 favorite uses for coconut oil
coconut oil is an anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbal and an anti-viral all rolled into one, so right away you know that it’s not messing around. when consumed regularly, coconut oil is known to support thyroid function, reduce muscle and joint inflammation, aid digestion and sooth stomach ailments, speed up the metabolism, improve cholesterol and overall heart health and kill bacteria and yeast in the body. sounds pretty good, right? here are five easy ways to incorporate it into your diet and start reaping the benefits:
- use it in place of pam or other oils when frying or sautéing food. unlike other oils, coconut oil will retain its nutrients even when heated to high temperatures.
- when cooking and baking, use it to replace vegetable oil and shortening.
- add a tablespoon or two to smoothies to boost your energy and aid digestion.
- layer it onto a slice of toast along with your favorite jam in place of butter for a sweet, healthy breakfast.
- use as an alternative to creamer and a natural sweetener in your coffee or tea.
additionally, adding coconut oil to your beauty regimen is an easy way to cut down on the amount of harmful chemicals entering your body. it will also help free up space in your medicine cabinet because it can take the place of so many other products. here are five ways you can easily incorporate coconut oil into your every day routine:
- use as a face moisturizer and body lotion. i personally moisturize with coconut oil every morning!
- put a small amount on a cotton ball and use as a make-up remover. bonus: it will help reduce the appearance of wrinkles around the eyes and is way cheaper than botox!
- massage into your dry hair one-hour before showering, then shampoo and condition as usual for an all-natural hair mask. you will love how silky and smooth it leaves your hair, i promise.
- place on cuts, burns, blisters or a bad sunburn to speed up the healing process.
- carry it with you in a small container to use as a lip balm.
finally, probably the best thing about coconut oil, aside from all of the health benefits, is that it’s super affordable. you can get a 14 oz. jar from spectrum for around $11, which is a small price to pay for something that can improve your health in so many ways. i always have at least one jar stocked in my kitchen and another in my medicine cabinet. what are some of the ways you have incorporated coconut oil into your every day life?
image courtesy of made of muscle
class review: total body boot camp
looking for a way to spend some time outside, get in shape and change up your workouts this summer? if so, you should definitely check out the total body boot camp hosted by personal trainer jean marc mondelice [also known as the pescetarian king] in east river park on sunday mornings. i attended last weekend and will definitely be going back!
jean marc has put together a workout that is challenging, gets you sweating and thanks to the team environment, is also really fun. at first i was a little intimated since i was the only girl in the class, but everyone was welcoming and encouraging, and i got in a great workout. what’s better than that?!
the class is broken down into three components and you can mix and match your workout however you would like [I went from 11-1pm] or stay for all three hours if you are looking for a serious challenge! the schedule looks like this:
- 11-12pm: beginner calisthenics/power training
- 12-1pm: cardio/agility training
- 1-2pm: advanced calisthenics/power training
if you are interested in joining us this weekend, reserve your spot here… it’s free through august 30th!
see you on sunday!
image courtesy of cliffton creque, jr.
for my first official post, i thought it would make sense for me to share with you the recipe for my favorite go-to smoothie. it’s a perfect “beginner” smoothie because it doesn’t incorporate any “weird” ingredients [we’ll save that for later!], but it’s healthy, tastes like your favorite childhood sandwich and is super easy to make. i love to make this in the morning for a quick, on-the-go breakfast or as an afternoon pick-me-up.
you will need:
- 1 medium banana
- 1/2 c. fresh berries of choice [I used blackberries and raspberries here]
- 1 heaping tbsp. almond butter
- 3/4 c. hemp milk [or other non-dairy milk of your choice]
- 1 c. ice
optional: 1 tsp. chia seeds and 1 tsp. unsweetened coconut flakes for garnish
place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. pour into serving glasses [this makes one serving], garnish with chia seeds and coconut flakes and serve with a side of your favorite fruit. enjoy!
welcome to bananas + bellinis!
hey everyone! i’m kelsey and welcome to bananas + bellinis, my health and wellness blog dedicated to showing the world that healthy doesn’t have to mean boring and that, like the tagline reads, it really is okay to chase that shot with green juice.
my main focus may be health and wellness, but i promise to never tell you what type of diet you should follow, to only eat “good” foods and avoid “bad” foods at all cost or to exercise like a maniac five days a week or not bother exercising at all. it’s impossible to maintain that level of perfection and the good news is, you don’t even need to.
while I do have a passion for living a healthy lifestyle and things like yoga, green juice, organic beauty products and avocado toast make me really happy, i think that living a balanced life is more important than being perfectly healthy at all times. i love being healthy and taking care of myself, but i also love pizza, cupcakes, margaritas and the occasional evening [or maybe the occasional day] laying on the couch binge watching netflix. After all, if you can’t let loose [or maybe just be lazy], have fun and indulge every once in a while, you’re not really living your life anyways.
here, at bananas + bellinis, in the spirit of balance, i will share with you my favorite recipes [both healthy and indulgent!], natural beauty and self-care secrets, tips for living your healthiest, happiest life and anything else i stumble across along the way.
thanks so much for stopping by… see you again soon!
follow me on instagram!
posts by topic
- March 2017 (3)
- February 2017 (2)
- January 2017 (3)
- October 2016 (1)
- September 2016 (2)
- August 2016 (1)
- July 2016 (1)
- June 2016 (5)
- May 2016 (4)
- April 2016 (4)
- March 2016 (3)
- December 2015 (4)
- November 2015 (6)
- October 2015 (8)
- September 2015 (8)
- August 2015 (10)
- July 2015 (11)
- June 2015 (11)
- May 2015 (11)
- April 2015 (11)
- March 2015 (12)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (12)
- December 2014 (11)
- November 2014 (9)
- October 2014 (15)
- September 2014 (11)
- August 2014 (8)
- July 2014 (5)