obligatory “new year, new me” post… or whatever.
happy new year, guys! i hope that everyone had an amazing holiday seaon… i certainly did!
it’s been a while, hasn’t it?! i took a little hiatus from posting for a while… not for any particular reason, except that i just needed to do it. the end of 2016 was a whirlwind for me [in the best way], but i’m excited to be back in action!
2017 is here. and you know what january means… resolutions. lots of ’em. we’re only in week two of the new year, so resolutions are definitely still a hot topic regardless of who you’re talking to. personally, i’m not really a fan of new year’s resolutions. i’m not into the “new year, new me!” mentality for a few reasons.
first, why now? just because the year on the calendar changed, suddenly you’re going to change, too? you don’t have to wait until it’s a new year… or month, or week, or day even… to make a change. do it whenever the eff you feel like it. the sooner you start taking action, the better.
second, have you thought about how you’re going to make that change? a lot of resolutions are empty. they aren’t thought out. there aren’t any action plans to go along with them. there aren’t smaller goals set and timelines created to help get to the large, overarching goal. and how can you seriously expect to be successful without a plan?
and finally, i don’t like resolutions because they don’t work. they just don’t. why is this? because with resolutions, one slip up is often discouraging enough to make us throw in the towel. and that’s not what life is about. i think the mentality of having “goals” to work towards, rather than having “resolutions” to stick to makes all the difference. looking back… i don’t think i have ever, and i mean ever, accomplished one of my new year’s resolutions.
[DISCLAIMER: if you’ve had success with making resolutions in the past, then by all means, keep going for it! i’m just speaking from my personal experience.]
this year, i have about 5 things that i really want to accomplish [it’s important to not be working towards too many goals at the same time… it gets hard to focus and can be discouraging] and in the spirit of the new year excitement, i figured i would share them with you here. i mean… everyone’s doing it… right?
1. get back to blogging regularly. after my hiatus [and about a year of posting really sporadically] i want to put more time and energy into bananas + bellinis this year. i have a lot of ideas… so i’ll be focusing on taking things one step at a time… as always… baby steps!
2. start teaching yoga. i’ve taught a few classes here and there, and quite a few private sessions since i completed my teacher training in 2015, but i really want to work my way onto the schedule at at least 3 studios this year.
3. get back to a more balanced workout routine. i’m obviously all about balance, but when it comes to working out… i tend to be a little off. i’ll have a week where i workout 4-5 times… followed by a week where i don’t work out one. single. time. this year, i want to maintain a consistent workout schedule [without getting carried away], while still mixing my workouts up. i’m hoping that my new classpass membership will help me with this!
4. read 2 books per month. reading is something that i have always loved to do, and when i lived in new york, my time spent commuting on the subway was dedicated to reading. i would fly through books, and no matter what, always had at least 1 hour a day to read. now that i drive to work, i don’t have time automatically worked into my schedule for this… and i miss it! i’m kicking the year off with born a crime by trevor noah [#swoon]. what are your other recommendations?! leave ’em in the comments below!
5. have the most fun ever. all the time. although i listed this last, i think it’s the most important thing… my “theme” for 2017, if you will. if i’m not having fun, i’m just not gonna do it. and on the flipside, when it comes to the things i have to do [you know, the things involved with being an “adult” like working, paying bills, doing chores, etc.] i’m going to make an effort to not hate every second of it. if i have to be doing it, might as well have fun in the process right?
so, to wrap up here, i’m back. i’m ready for 2017 [only took me about a week to wrap my head around the fact that we’re even in a new year to begin with]… and i hope you’re all excited to see where bananas + bellinis goes this year! so happy to have you along for the ride.
what are your thoughts on goals vs. resolutions? and what are your goals for 2017?! leave them in the comments below… i always love a little inspiration!
follow me on instagram!
posts by topic
- March 2017 (3)
- February 2017 (2)
- January 2017 (3)
- October 2016 (1)
- September 2016 (2)
- August 2016 (1)
- July 2016 (1)
- June 2016 (5)
- May 2016 (4)
- April 2016 (4)
- March 2016 (3)
- December 2015 (4)
- November 2015 (6)
- October 2015 (8)
- September 2015 (8)
- August 2015 (10)
- July 2015 (11)
- June 2015 (11)
- May 2015 (11)
- April 2015 (11)
- March 2015 (12)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (12)
- December 2014 (11)
- November 2014 (9)
- October 2014 (15)
- September 2014 (11)
- August 2014 (8)
- July 2014 (5)