power up with pinole
happy friday, everyone! i don’t know about you… but this week has seriously draaaggggggedddddd. i am so ready for the weekend, and plan to sleep in, hang out with some friends, and have some fun in the sun on a booze cruise saturday afternoon!
i’m also heading to the propel co:labs fitness festival saturday and sunday, and will be pretty gogogo all weekend long, so i know i’m going to need to be fueling up the right way in the mornings. luckily, i’ve recently discovered purely pinole, which is absolutely perfect for powering up before a workout or a marathon drinking session [pick your poison, #balance ya know].
pinole is an ancient aztec recipe that’s served as a hot porridge… i like to describe it as a hybrid of grits and oatmeal… but with more health benefits! it’s full of vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, protein, and fiber… and now, native state foods has rediscovered the recipe coveted by the aztecs and made it their own! [you can read more about the health benefits and history of pinole here.]
it’s super easy to make [you can buy a large pack or smaller single serving “grab + go” cups] and by adding your own toppings or boosters, you can create something that perfectly suits your taste buds! here is how i’ve been preparing mine [and loving it!]:
- 1 serving of purely pinole original [prepared on the stovetop]
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries, thawed
- 2 tbsp. sunburst organic maca powder [lots of added health benefits here, too, including stress reduction!]
- 1 tbsp. slivered almonds
- 1 tbsp. raw pepitas
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened coconut flakes
- optional: 1 tbsp. raw honey to taste
all you have to do is prepare the pinole according to the instructions on the package [it takes literally 5 minutes] and then add the toppings/boosters! you can obviously mix and match with whatever you like… add any fruit/nuts/seeds/powders… the combinations are endless… and enjoy!
have you tried pinole yet? what are you favorite ways to power up?! tell me in the comments below!
thirsty thursday: coconut mango spritzers
we’re juuussstttttttt about in the swing of a 3-day weekend [and the official kick off of summer… yay!], and because i’m sure many of you will be hosting parties, making homemade brunches or enjoying breakfasts in bed, a morning cocktail seemed most fitting for this week’s thirsty thursday post. and these coconut mango spritzers will be the perfect addition to your holiday weekend mornings [or any weekend morning, as far as i’m concerned]! best of all? you only need 3 ingredients… it truly could not be easier!
for each of the coconut mango spritzers you will need:
- 1 part champagne [i did use prosecco because it was what i had on hand… still good!]
- 1 part peach + mango coconut water [i used vita coco]
- 1 part mango la croix
- unsweetened coconut flakes [optional]
you’ll want to create this drink in traditional champagne flutes, so that it will be super easy to measure out. first, fill each flute about 1/3 of the way with champagne, add the la croix until the glass is 2/3 full, and then top with the coconut water. that’s it!
the la croix gives this baby a little extra fizz [it is a spritzer after all] and the vita coco adds a little additional flavor… if you’re feelin’ it, you can even sprinkle a few unsweetened coconut flakes on the top as a fun garnish.
cheers… and happy memorial day!
p.s. these tips for staying balanced during holiday weekends help me make it through all of the celebrating year after year… they’re tried and true, and if you put them into practice, you won’t be sorry!
thirtsy thursday: spicy cucumber margaritas
yes, i’m well aware that it’s not quite thursday yet, but since tomorrow is cinco de mayo, i wanted to make sure this post was up a day early, just in time for all of your balanced celebrations!
one thing you should know about me is that i effing love margaritas. for whatever reason, they have always been my favorite cocktail… maybe it’s because i associate them with the summertime, and sitting on the beach, soaking up the sun… but anyways, it was inevitable that i’d be experimenting with making my own, and what better a day to share the recipe with you than cinco de drinko?! [and there will be more where this came from, i can promise you that!]
this spicy cucumber margarita is pretty much the perfect balanced cocktail. the tequila will get you feelin’ a little loose while the cucumber will help keep you hydrated [and gives the drink a really light and crisp flavor] and finally, the jalapeño will not only add a little kick, but help boost your metabolism, too.
for 2 spicy cucumber margaritas you will need:
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small jalapeño, seeds removed + thinly sliced [more or less to taste]
- juice squeezed from 4 limes
- 1/2 cup tequila blanco
- 2 tsp. raw honey [more or less to taste]
- coarse kosher salt, sweet chili powder + cane sugar for rim
- a few cucumber + jalapeño slices set aside for garnish
- place the cucumber and jalapeño slices, lime juice, tequila and honey in a blender. blend until smooth.
- on a small plate, combine a little salt, chili powder and cane sugar [about a tsp. of each should be good]. wet the rim with a leftover piece of lime, and then dip into salt, chili powder, sugar mixture.
- place several ice cubes in each serving glass along with one cucumber and one jalapeño slice.
- pour blended mixture over the ice, garnish glass with cucumber and jalapeño, top off with a fun paper straw [or a paper umbrella] and enjoy!
happy cinco de mayo! [and as always, no drinking + driving!]
thirsty thursday: mint + honey spiked moonshine tea
finally the day has come for the first installment of the thirsty thursday series! guys, i’m seriously so excited about this. why, you ask?
well, first and foremost, i’ve been noodling on the idea of incorporating more cocktail recipes into the mix [see what i did there?] here at bananas + bellinis for a while now… after all, there is an alcoholic beverage mentioned in both the blog name and tagline, so it just seemed appropriate.
second, i think this is going to be a great way for me to begin building out my niche a little better. while health, wellness, and creating a balanced lifestyle have always been my passions and the focus of this blog, i think zeroing in on a few more specialized topics will really help me set myself apart from the other healthy lifestyle bloggers out there.
and finally… just because who the hell doesn’t enjoy a cocktail from time to time? even better if the cocktail contains natural ingredients instead of all that artificial sh*t… amiright?!
now, i knowwwww that iced tea is technically a summer drink, but i snagged a sample of a sweet iced tea at expo west a few weeks ago and had to experiment with it [and it’s basically always summer in l.a., duh]. what did i come up with? this mint + honey spiked moonshine tea. read on.
ingredients for 2 servings:
- 2 shots of vodka [1 oz. each]
- 16 oz. moonshine mint + honey sweet tea
- 2 tsp. raw honey
- 1 lemon, sliced
- a few sprigs of fresh mint [plus extra for garnish]
- ice cubes
- place several ice cubes, about 4 fresh mint leaves, one lemon slice that’s been cut into quarters, and 1 teaspoon of raw honey in each of your serving glasses [these look especially cute served in mason jars].
- in a cocktail shaker combine the vodka and sweet tea with ice; shake, shake, shake it up! [my mason jar shaker is from sharper image, similar to this one.]
- pour the cocktail mixture into your serving glasses and stir, topping off with a squeeze of lemon juice [to taste].
- garnish with a lemon slice, a sprig of mint and a paper straw.*
[and remember to never drink + drive!]
*best enjoyed outside in the sun, preferably in a hammock, while reading a book and listening to mellow acoustic jams.
happy halloween + healthy candy recipe round-up!
halloween is, and always has been, one of my favorite holidays. i love everything about it … figuring out my costume[s], dressing up, candy, parties, punch served out of a pumpkin, candy … you know the drill!
unfortunately, all of the popular halloween candy that goes around at this time of the year is just terrible for you. and even though i’m all about balance, treating yourself, and having fun, sometimes it just seriously isn’t worth it.
luckily, there’s lots of people out there like myself who have come up with their own homemade healthy candy recipes, so you can still indulge and enjoy yourself on halloween, without filling up on harmful chemicals and food additives.
here is a round up of some mouthwatering healthy candy recipes to help you take this halloween to the next level, without harming your body in the process!
what are you dressing up as tonight?!
sign up for my newsletter!
follow me on instagram!
posts by topic
- November 2017 (1)
- September 2017 (1)
- August 2017 (2)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (2)
- March 2017 (3)
- February 2017 (2)
- January 2017 (3)
- October 2016 (1)
- September 2016 (2)
- August 2016 (1)
- July 2016 (1)
- June 2016 (5)
- May 2016 (4)
- April 2016 (4)
- March 2016 (3)
- December 2015 (4)
- November 2015 (6)
- October 2015 (8)
- September 2015 (8)
- August 2015 (10)
- July 2015 (11)
- June 2015 (11)
- May 2015 (11)
- April 2015 (11)
- March 2015 (12)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (12)
- December 2014 (11)
- November 2014 (9)
- October 2014 (15)
- September 2014 (11)
- August 2014 (7)
- July 2014 (4)