my #1 tip for amazing skin
there’s a lot of information out there about how to get glowing skin… the quickest way to get rid of blemishes… the best products to use for oily/dry/combination skin… the easiest way to prevent wrinkles…and it seems like everyone has a different answer for what solutions are the best, which makes sense… because everyone’s skin is different and will react differently to different treatments and products.
while i can’t tell you what the best this or that is [i’m still trying to figure this out for myself], what i can tell you is that there is one tip for amazing skin that works for just about everyone. it doesn’t cost a fortune, it doesn’t come from the depths of the some remote village in southeast asia, and it’s not some complicated system that takes work to integrate into your routine. in fact, it’s quite the opposite of all of these things…
keep. it. simple.
yep. it’s really as easy as that. why? i’m so glad you asked!
our skin is one of our largest organs, and it has a few pretty important jobs, including protection [from UV damage, bacteria, dehydration, physical injury] and regulation [of temperature, the immune system, excretion of waste] of the whooooollllle body. so, we wanna take care of it. like, really, really good care of it.
keeping it simple is important when it comes to taking care of our skin because, just like with anything else, when we bombard our skin with sh*tloads of products [cough*chemicals*cough] it doesn’t know what to do.
i know so many people who swear by skincare products that not only break the bank, but are loaded with harmful chemicals. they have skincare regimens that are so complicated i don’t even think they even fully understand what they’re doing or how it’s working. they just see results, see the amazing skin they’re looking for, and stop asking questions. which is fine in some situations, but this isn’t one of them.
the good news is, it can be so much easier and so much better for you than that! and i’ve got a few tips where to get started [because i know it can seem like a daunting task].
1. narrow it down. great news, guys. you don’t need 20 different products for great skin. in fact, this is one of those situations where less is definitely more. i like to keep my daily skincare regimen to a facial cleanser, toner, and moisturizer [typically an oil of some kind… right now i’m using avocado oil and i love it] in the morning and before bed. i’m also a big fan of masks 2-3 times a week. [i love pretty much all of lush’s masks, and these collagen eye pads are my latest obsession].
2. clean it up. ditch the products that are full of chemicals. anything with sulfates, parabens, and PEGs. these synthetic ingredients have been linked to cancer, among other things. yea, cancer. this sh*t is not a joke. fellow blogger kate of living pretty naturally breaks this down even further for you here. [this goes for skincare products and makeup.]
3. eat [and drink] for beautiful skin. it sounds cheesy, but it’s true… beauty comes form the inside out. berries, pomegranates, kidney beans, walnuts, and green tea are just a few of the foods recommended for glowing skin, and one thing i’ve recently added to my daily routine is marine collagen powder. collagen promotes elasticity, cohesion and regeneration of the skin, hair and nails, and it’s kinda poppin’ up everywhere in the wellness world these days. i mix it into a cold glass of water first thing in the morning… couldn’t be easier!
what are your favorite easy, natural skincare tips for amazing skin?! any favorite products? would love for you to share the wealth in the comments below!
self-love on valentine’s day
happy friday, every one! i hope you all had an amazing week and have fun plans in store for the weekend.
valentine’s day is next week, so naturally that’s what we’re gonna talk about today… but i didn’t make a gift guide… i don’t have any unique valentine’s day date ideas… there are tons of posts like that out there and i feel like doing something a little different. so, instead i want to talk about the importance of self-love on valentine’s day and why it’s so important… whether you’re single, dating, or committed.
self-love. it’s one of those buzzwords that’s all over the wellness world. i know… it sounds cheesy AF, but there’s a reason you’ve been hearing it everywhere. and that’s because it’s effing important. why?
because you have to love yourself before anyone else can. you have to treat yourself with respect if you want anyone else to treat you with respect. you can’t expect to have an amazing, loving, supportive relationship with someone else if you don’t have one with yourself first.
it’s a pretty straightforward concept. it’s kinda the sibling of the golden rule, right? “treat yourself the way you want others to treat you”… i like that.
here’s a few examples of what happens when you put yourself first and show yourself some love:
- your health and happiness levels will go through the roof
- your relationships with others will improve
- you’ll gain a true sense of who you are, not who you’re “supposed” to be
- you’ll set boundaries for yourself and others [aka you’ll take less sh*t from people]
- you’ll stop sabotaging all of the good things in your life
- you start to realize the role you play in manifesting your experiences… both good and bad
so, regardless of what your “status” is on valentine’s day this year… as justin bieber once said… baby, you should go and love yourself. [the context is different here, but whatever, any excuse to quote the biebs, amiright?!]
have valentine’s day plans? that’s great! but you should still make a conscious effort to appreciate yourself. it’ll set the tone for your relationship and how the person you’re with treats you, whether you’ve been dating for 3 weeks or 3 years.
if you’re single, buy yourself that necklace you’ve been eyeing for ages or go to dinner at your favorite restaurant. if you don’t do nice things for yourself, how can you expect anyone else to ever want to do nice things for you?
personally, as someone who’s single on valentine’s day this year, i bought myself a new pair of sneakers and am getting a [much needed and way overdue] massage tuesday after work… then i think i’ll crack open a bottle of wine and catch up on summer house…
and i cannot wait.
how are you going to show yourself some love on valentine’s day? would love to hear your ideas in the comments below!
sign up for my newsletter!
follow me on instagram!
posts by topic
- December 2017 (1)
- November 2017 (3)
- September 2017 (1)
- August 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (2)
- March 2017 (3)
- February 2017 (2)
- January 2017 (3)
- October 2016 (1)
- September 2016 (2)
- August 2016 (1)
- July 2016 (1)
- June 2016 (5)
- May 2016 (4)
- April 2016 (4)
- March 2016 (3)
- December 2015 (4)
- November 2015 (6)
- October 2015 (8)
- September 2015 (7)
- August 2015 (10)
- July 2015 (8)
- June 2015 (9)
- May 2015 (10)
- April 2015 (10)
- March 2015 (9)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (11)
- December 2014 (10)
- November 2014 (7)
- October 2014 (11)
- September 2014 (8)
- August 2014 (4)
- July 2014 (2)