i attended a talk last week here in LA hosted by robin shirley, founder of the take back your health conference. she mostly discussed the healing powers of superfoods, and even though I’m no stranger to the idea of incorporating superfoods in my diet, i came away from the event inspired to start experimenting with them more. a great place to start? smoothies!
all summer, i’ve been having some serious cravings for ice cream … i mean … who doesn’t love ice cream? in particular, i’ve been daydreaming about creamsicles for the past few weeks … and i can’t be the only one who gets serious childhood nostalgia for these things … right? unfortunately, as i’m sure you can imagine, the original creamsicle popsicles are full of ingredients that are just terrible for you. enter: superfoods.
i went ahead and turned the creamsicle into a smoothie that’s actually good for you and tastes prettttyyyyyyyy damn close to the original we all know and love. my superfood of choice for this recipe was bee pollen, which is high in amino acids and protein, and has been shown to boost the immune system and regulate digestion … you can read more about the benefits of it in more detail here.
for one superfood creamsicle you will need:
- 1 c. fresh squeezed orange juice [cold]
- 3/4 c. unsweetened coconut milk [cold]
- 1 large banana
- 2 tbsp. all-natural vanilla protein powder [I like vega ONE, and this is where the greenish color comes from]
- 2 tsp. bee pollen
- place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- pour into a glass and enjoy…straw, hammock and sunshine are optional.
product review: block island organics sunscreen + special offer
i always love trying out new products that are organic, all-natural and don’t contain any harmful ingredients to find out what actually works, so when block island organics reached out to me and asked if i would like to try out their sunscreen, i was obviously onboard. i decided that reviewing products the same way i review fitness classes was probably a good idea, so we’ll be following the same “banana system” seen here, here and here.
i don’t think i need to go into detail about why you should be wearing sunscreen because, let’s face it, it’s 2015 and that type of thing is just common knowledge these days. unfortunately, sunscreen is one of those things that everyone knows they should be using, but still decide to go without … for a variety of reasons.
and i’m definitely guilty of this. i hate how sunscreen tends to be super greasy and difficult to blend into my skin, leaving a weird, uncomfortable film of lotion on my body that gets on my clothes, into my eyes, and makes my hair look as if i haven’t showered in a few weeks. the spray sunscreens, which are supposed to make life easier, do just the opposite. they are equally as messy and don’t offer even coverage, which can cause weird, streaky tan/burn lines. a girl seriously can’t win.
[we should all make sunscreen one of our beach necessities.]
luckily, block island organics solves all of these #firstworldproblems with their natural mineral sunscreen. it’s still a lotion, but it’s not super thick or greasy, so it doesn’t leave an oily layer behind. it’s easy to massage into your skin, which ensures even coverage and this stuff is seriously sweat-proof. i put it on before i biked about a mile and then took an intense 90-minute vinyasa flow yoga class where i got mega-sweaty. only in the last 15 minutes of class did i start to notice that i was sweating off the lotion just a tiny bit. not only does it work, it’s made in the USA, vegan, gluten-free and all-natural … free of parabens, dyes, phthalates, and all of that other sh*t we don’t want to be putting on our bodies. the verdict?
4/5 bananas for block island organics!
want to get your hands on some of this stuff for the last few weeks of summer? i’m sure your skin could certainly use some t.l.c.! from today [august 12th, 2015] until august 18th, 2015 at 11:59pm eastern time, the block island organics family is offering all bananas + bellinis readers 15% off their entire purchase at www.blockislandorganics.com! just use the code “kelsey” at checkout! [this cannot be combined with any other offer.]
please note that while this post was made possible by block island organics, all opinions expressed here are my own!
motivation mondays: week 42
okay, it’s monday morning and first thing’s first, let’s do a quick little LA food recap from the past week. the highlights were:
[tacos por favor…the potato tacos were ridiculous.]
[yellow coconut curry bowl with miracle noodles + tempeh from m café]
[clockwise from left: samoas donut, nutella cronut + samoas cronut from dk’s donuts.]
now that we’ve gotten that over with, let’s talk motivation mondays!
i think it’s important to touch on the idea of self-care and self-love from time to time, and that’s what we’re going to do today. whether we realize it or not, in our day to day lives we give and give and give ourselves to the other people … friends, coworkers/managers/clients, boyfriends/girlfriends/husbands/wives, pets, family, kids … we even give ourselves to complete and total strangers. we’ve spent a lot of time learning about how to be kind to others, how to treat others with respect, but rarely are we taught how to do those same things for ourselves.
being good to other people is a no-brainer. we all know the difference between right and wrong, and that the smallest good deed can mean the world to the person on the receiving end of it. what we forget, or maybe don’t even know, is that we deserve the same level of kindness and respect that we show others from ourselves.
make sure that you take time every. single. day. to be good to yourself. buy yourself the shirt you’ve been eying for weeks because you work hard and you deserve it. treat yourself to a doughnut [like I did this weekend]. look in the mirror and give yourself a compliment … and mean it. doing something nice for yourself is equally as important as being nice to other people. if you can’t be kind to yourselves, you’re telling the universe that you don’t deserve to be treated well by others. and that’s the truth.
links i love right now…
1. i will never not be upset that jon stewart doesn’t host the daily show anymore. it’s like, the end of an era. and yea, buzzfeed got it right.
2. more jon stewart … because i’m still in the grieving stages of this break-up, okay?
3. and again … because i’ll never be over this. miss you already, jon.
have a great week everyone … what’s one thing you’re going to do for yourself today?!
guest post: 5 tips for finding a fitness plan that works fo you
when it comes to finding a fitness plan that works for you, it’s important to remember that there is not a one-size-fits-all solution. in fact, there are so many ways to keep fit and stay healthy that you don’t need to worry if hitting the gym just isn’t your thing. simply getting off the bus a few stops early or maybe going for a walk during your lunch hour can all add valuable physical activity to your day.
but, what you do need to remember is that any fitness plan has to work around your life, otherwise the likelihood is that you won’t stick to it. this isn’t necessarily a reflection of you, it’s just human nature … and it doesn’t have to stay that way! if you can find a way to get fit that works with your lifestyle, you’ll be well on your way to reaching your fitness goals.
keeping all of this in mind, let’s take a look at the best ways to find a fitness plan that will work for you!
1. don’t push yourself too hard at the start. when you first begin a new workout routine, you may feel super motivated and like you have something to prove, but pushing yourself too hard at the beginning is only going to create problems. if you haven’t worked out in a while, you could be increasing the chance of getting hurt if you push yourself too hard. not only this, biting off more than you can chew will encourage you to skip sessions when the going gets tough, and this will likely lead to you just stopping completely. a fitness plan is a lifestyle change, so when it comes to planning yours, you need to make sure that you find something that’s realistic for you.
2. do your research. whether you love going to the gym or would rather spend time at the park with family, there are plenty of ways to get fit. researching will help you to find exercises that you think you may enjoy. If you like swimming, find a pool that has an adults only swimming time so you can get a workout without the distraction of children. if you worry about how you’re going to fit your fitness routine around family/friend time, then bring them with you! working out with a buddy is more enjoyable than working out alone, and if you have kids, they can benefit from a bike ride or a run around the park, too. get creative!
3. tag team it. one of the best ways to ensure that you stick to a new fitness plan is to enlist someone else to join you. whether you choose to take your partner or a friend, it can be a great way to spend some quality time with someone. exercising together will also help you to bond and stay connected, while having someone to keep you motivated and vice versa. if you can’t get anyone on board, try making friends with people who workout at similar times as you. if you’re in touch with someone at the gym or in a workout class and they’re expecting you to be there, you’re more likely to show up.
4. follow a gradual plan. fitness is becoming more and more popular all the time, and because of this, the amount of plans aimed at people who haven’t worked out much before is growing. there are plans that can help you go “from your sofa to running a 5K” and much more. diving in head first isn’t sustainable, but working gradually towards a goal means you will be much more likely to stay on track.
5. find what works best for you. if you have a fitness plan in place and haven’t noticed any changes after about four weeks [or you just aren’t enjoying it], consider changing it up! remember, it’s always best to do a mixture of cardio and strength training, but strength training can be anything from yoga to hiking, and cardio can range from dancing to jumping on a trampoline …. think outside the box and create a fitness plan that keeps you entertained, motivated and is something you love to do!
getting fit and starting a new fitness plan can be intimidating at first, but when approached the right way, can change your life for the better. all you need is the motivation and a plan that works for you and your lifestyle.
and remember, fitness is about leading a healthier lifestyle, not worrying about the number you see on the scale or the tags of your clothes. focus on how you feel, because that’s what really counts!
this post was written by amy leach on behalf of focus training.
motivation mondays: week 41
oh, hey there! how are you?! good weekend? ready for the week? if you feel like you’re draggin’ a little bit post-weekend, you’ve come to the right place because on monday mornings it’s always motivation mondays here at bananas + bellinis! let’s get down to business:
no matter what your goals are, if the way you’re going about reaching them doesn’t excite you, you need to rethink it. if the goal itself doesn’t excite you … it’s time to really re-evaluate what you’re doing.
what you’re going after should genuinely make you so excited that you can’t even stand it. the idea of achieving … and working towards, for that matter … that goal should make you feel incredible and free and happy, and the idea of not achieving it should make you feel the exact opposite of those things.
long story short, if your goal doesn’t make you just wanna effing go for it wholeheartedly every. single. day … you’re doing something wrong. take a step back from your current routine, take a really good look at it and then ask yourself what it is you actually want out of life and start figuring it out from there! it’s a starting point and there’s nothing wrong with starting from scratch if it’s in the name of going after what you want.
links i’m loving for this week:
1. check out my brand new YOGA page and get at me if you wanna do some yoga!
2. haven’t signed up for the bananas + bellinis newsletter yet? well, what are you waiting for?! sign up HERE!
3. grilled avocados??!! good lawd, YES PLZ.
4. #mcm … because who doesn’t love leo? And also, you’re welcome.
have a great week, guys! email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell me what you’re goals are! what are you working towards right now and how is it going? i would love to hear from you!
photo courtesy of the color run
sign up for my newsletter!
follow me on instagram!
posts by topic
- September 2017 (1)
- August 2017 (2)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (2)
- March 2017 (3)
- February 2017 (2)
- January 2017 (3)
- October 2016 (1)
- September 2016 (2)
- August 2016 (1)
- July 2016 (1)
- June 2016 (5)
- May 2016 (4)
- April 2016 (4)
- March 2016 (3)
- December 2015 (4)
- November 2015 (6)
- October 2015 (8)
- September 2015 (8)
- August 2015 (10)
- July 2015 (11)
- June 2015 (11)
- May 2015 (11)
- April 2015 (11)
- March 2015 (12)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (12)
- December 2014 (11)
- November 2014 (9)
- October 2014 (15)
- September 2014 (11)
- August 2014 (7)
- July 2014 (4)