5 tips for glowing skin all year round
well, summer is almost officially here and one thing [of the many, many things] i love about summer is how easy my skincare and makeup routines become because… let’s face it… everyone looks better with some color! don’t you wish you could carry around that summer glow all year round?
well, i have good news! you can! here are my tips for glowing skin, even after summer is gone.
1. slather on the sunscreen. okay, this is a no-brainer. i don’t think i really need to elaborate. it’s summer. if you’re going to be outside for an extended period of time, just wear you’re effing sunscreen. please and thank you.
2. go natural with your skincare regimen. when it comes to taking care of your skin, less is more. not only in the number of products you use, but in the ingredients that are in the products you use, as well. i recommend finding an all-natural, toxin-free cleanser, making your own toner from a few simple ingredients and moisturizing with coconut oil. that’s all you need! if you do find yourself needing a spot treatment for those pesky breakouts, tea tree oil works wonders.
3. wear less makeup. makeup… while it does make us look good [in most cases, not all] and many of us can’t imagine going without it, it’s pretty terrible for our skin. foundations and concealers can clog up our pores and make it hard for our skin to breathe and people with sensitive skin will sometimes break out because they are using too much makeup. the summer is a good time to start experimenting with wearing less makeup because, like i said, everyone looks better with a tan! use the next few months to start feeling comfortable leaving the house without being plastered with makeup and if you are going to wear it, invest in high quality, toxin-free products. i personally love just about everything from both tarte and josie maran.
4. start skin brushing. i’ve talked about the benefits of skin brushing before, but there is no better time to start doing this than in the summer, when more of our skin is exposed to the elements than usual. check out this post for the full scoop!
5. eat right. believe it or not, what you put into your body is just as important as what you put on your body when it comes to taking care of your skin. experts recommend eating lots of berries [the antioxidants make our skin look younger], tomatoes [loaded with lycopene, which fights hormones that cause breakouts] and kale [loaded with both a + c vitamins, known for helping to firm the skin up] to fight dryness, redness and breakouts.
avocado + cacao breakfast bowl
have you guys given this whole breakfast bowl trend a go yet? personally, i was totally confused by it at first. like… you mean… it’s a smoothie… in a bowl… that you eat with a spoon…? why not just drink it like you’re supposed to… ?
well, i decided to give it a go and can kinda see what the hype is all about. it’s a nice way to change up your breakfast so that you aren’t getting bored with your routine, while still packing a bunch of nutrients into one easy to make meal.
for one breakfast bowl you will need:
- 1 medium banana
- 3/4 c. coconut milk
- 1/2 of a medium avocado
- 1 tbsp. almond butter
- 1 heaping tbsp. cacao powder
- options for toppings: dried berries, seeds, nuts, coconut flakes, fruit, carob chips, raw honey, etc. [i used coconut flakes, chia seeds + goji berries here]
- place all ingredients [except the toppings] into a blender and mix until smooth. you’re going to end up with a mixture that’s thicker and creamier than a smoothie.
- transfer the mixture into a bowl and garnish with your toppings of choice [make that sh*t look pretty].
motivation mondays: week 35
hey everyone and greetings from brisbane! this is the third city [of four] that i’m visiting in australia and i am having such an amazing time. it’s technically winter in this part of the world right now… but like… i’ll take 70° days and 50° nights during “winter” anytime. beats the hell out of new york winters, that’s for damn sure.
i can’t wait to tell you guys literally everything about this trip when i return, but for now, let’s talk motivation mondays! i’m going to keep it short and sweet today [i am on vacation after all] and i think a travel quote is appropriate given my current geographical location.
first, i should let you know that eat pray love is my favorite book of all time. it sits on my nightstand and i’ve read it more times than I can count… the pages are dogeared, quotes are underlined and it’s seriously beat up. the first time i read it was when i was going through probably the hardest time of my life during the summer between junior and senior year of college. i was deep in the struggle of dealing with my orthorexic eating habits and my self-confidence, body image and overall outlook on life were at their lowest points. on top of it all, my grandfather passed away that same summer and the downward spiral just seemed endless. someone suggested that i read this book and i credit it as a major reason that i was able to change my outlook [along with my yoga practice, duh].
elizabeth gilbert just gets it. and by “it” i mean like… life in general. she spent years doing what she thought she was supposed to be doing, only to end up miserable, lonely and uninspired. she reached her breaking point, gave up everything she had worked so hard for, sold all of her sh*t and headed out of the country to travel and just experience life in a way she hadn’t before. and in the process, she learned so much about who she was, what she wanted and where she needed to go next.
in my own life, i have found that traveling is this only thing I’m willing to spend serious money on because i know the feeling it gives me. it can be expensive, but the memories and the lessons i’ll walk away from a trip with will stick with me for the rest of my life.
if you’re ever feeling stuck… like you’re in a rut or just not where you think you should be… take a trip. you don’t have to go the extreme route of giving up your enter life and booking a oneway ticket, but a change of scenery, visiting a new, exciting place, even if it’s only for a few days, can open your eyes to things you didn’t realize before. and that, my friends, is worth every penny and every sacrifice you might have to make along the way.
links to check out this week:
1. more travel quotes. because the wanderlust bug is a real thing… even when you’re already on vacation.
2. a great read on 12 things confident people do differently. applying all of these things to my life immediately.
3. um, yes.
be sure to come by later this week! i have more posts scheduled to go up while i’m away… including a new healthy, easy recipe for you to try!
where will your next adventure be?!
image courtesy of babble
guest post: the balanced beauty’s top tips for achieving the body of your dreams
it’s been a while since i’ve had a guest blogger appear on bananas + bellinis, but after i connected with aly of the balanced beauty i knew that you guys would love what she has to say, and what better way to share her approach than with a guest post? a few of my recipes were featured on aly’s blog during her summer slim-down series [here + here] so be sure to check that out as well, but without further adieu, meet aly!
hi there! my name is aly mang and I am a board certified holistic health coach, founder/owner of the balanced beauty and fellow green juice lover… kelsey and i connected because we share a similar passion for health, wellness and striving for balance.
i personally believe balance is the key to living a healthy, happy life! my business was created because as i began to coach many young women, i saw that the majority were using an “all or nothing” approach when it came to dieting or wanting to change the way they looked. my advice is to ditch the extremes and know that balance on your plate, in your relationships, fitness routine and overall life is the way to achieve complete harmony and peace within yourself.
here are a few of my top tips for achieving the balanced body of your dreams!
1. love your body NOW.
the first step is to be grateful for who and what you are. stop comparing yourself others… you were born to be you. also know that the grass is not always greener on the other side. each individual has their own unique set of concerns, challenges and struggles. be grateful for the body you were given and if you want to change it because you want to improve it, come from a place of love! when you shift your desire to change for all of the right reasons, it will make the process much more rewarding and your goals will be more attainable.
2. eat from the earth!
this is a simple way to check yourself. before you consuming anything, ask yourself, “is what I’m eating from the earth or is it manmade?” often times manmade foods are processed and loaded with ingredients that can be toxic to your system. hydrogenated oils, artificial sweeteners, flavorings and colorings may make our food look pretty or have a longer shelf life, but they can reek havoc on our skin, body and immune system. read labels and pay attention to the chemicals or preservatives you are putting into your system. a build-up of toxic ingredients may be the reason you feel sluggish, bloated or are lacking that inner glow!
3. food is FUEL.
the #1 misconception I find when first coaching clients is that they think they need to eat less if they want to lose weight. false! i encourage my clients to eat throughout the day to keep their metabolism burning like a well-oiled machine. go longer than four hours without eating and you’re setting yourself up for ravenous eating and poor choices later on. making healthy choices and fueling your body throughout the day is the best way to keep your metabolism strong and in time will make you a fat-burning machine!
4. quality supplementation is key.
i understand healthy eating can be difficult all day everyday. we sometimes slip-up or have limited time in our schedules to prepare and organize our meals and snacks properly. this can leave holes in our diet, causing us to lack very important nutrients we need to function at an optimal level. this is why, in addition to eating from the earth and making mindful food choices, I recommend proper supplementation. this helps to ensure that your body has what it needs to feel mentally alert, energized and properly supported.
**below are a few of my favorite supplements that i recommend to support overall health, immunity and fitness goals. all of these products are all-natural, non-gmo and made with high quality ingredients. **
morning greens [my #1 recommendation!]
this is a green powder that you can mix with water and drink each morning on an empty stomach to fortify your entire system with 100% of your daily vitamins, minerals, greens, antioxidants and probiotics need! it’s also great for gut health, which is necessary for a healthy metabolism. this formula is 100% all-natural and raw… the perfect foundation for any balanced beauty body!
**the link above contains a limited-time offer of 50% OFF exclusive to balanced beauty and bananas + bellinis clients and followers… so act fast!
omegas fight inflammation, improve workout recovery and brain function, and are optimal for beautiful hair, skin, nails and a healthy heart! this formula has no fishy aftertaste or added ingredients.
grass-fed whey protein
protein powders can be a great option pre- or post-workout when you’re on-the-go and can help you build lean muscle in a delicious way! while there are many similar products on the market, athletic greens are the only products i recommend to my clients because of the high quality ingredients. i credit these particular products for my own personal health and overall wellness, which is the only reason i feel 100% confident in sharing them with you!
thank you, kelsey, for the opportunity to introduce myself to your fabulous community. for more healthy tips, recipes and inspiration, be sure to check me out on instagram, twitter and facebook or at the balanced beauty blog!
health + happiness,
class review: 305 fitness
if you listen to nothing else that I say, do yourself a favor and just try this one thing: take a class at 305 fitness... a$ap. i went to my first class back in january with a group of girlfriends and was instantly hooked… obviously… i mean just look at the stairs leading down to the studio…
305 fitness is essentially zumba meets south beach nightclub. we’re talking fun dance moves taught by upbeat, positive instructors, a live dj, flashing lights and lots, i mean lots, of bass. seriously, i think my favorite thing about these classes is how loud they bump the music.
oh, and did i mention that you’ll sweat your ass off?
everything about the studio and the classes is amazing. they really have channeled the whole south beach vibe and there are positive messages and cool art plastered just about everywhere to keep you focused and motivated, even when the class becomes challenging. it’s mostly cardio, but they alternate between arm and leg days to work on toning up, as well. latoya and sadie are my favorite instructors… they basically both define #badbitchalert.
The verdict? …. I mean… DUH…
5/5 bananas for 305 fitness!
if you like dancing, loud music, positive energy and are looking for a serious sweat session, grab your friends and run to 305 fitness immediately [the cost is worth it].
sign up for my newsletter!
follow me on instagram!
posts by topic
- September 2017 (1)
- August 2017 (2)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (2)
- March 2017 (3)
- February 2017 (2)
- January 2017 (3)
- October 2016 (1)
- September 2016 (2)
- August 2016 (1)
- July 2016 (1)
- June 2016 (5)
- May 2016 (4)
- April 2016 (4)
- March 2016 (3)
- December 2015 (4)
- November 2015 (6)
- October 2015 (8)
- September 2015 (8)
- August 2015 (10)
- July 2015 (11)
- June 2015 (11)
- May 2015 (11)
- April 2015 (11)
- March 2015 (12)
- February 2015 (12)
- January 2015 (12)
- December 2014 (11)
- November 2014 (9)
- October 2014 (15)
- September 2014 (11)
- August 2014 (7)
- July 2014 (4)